Why a Whoodle? The Wheaten Terrier and Poodle cross has the best of both worlds! Whoodles are very smart like the Poodle, and very friendly like a Wheaten Terrier. They have a bouncy easy-going nature. Our puppies are around 30-45 pounds, which is much easier to cope with indoors than a larger breed. They do love to play and require daily commitment to mental stimulation and spending consistent activity time with them. Whoodles have an independent nature, and do not need constant attention from their humans.
Whoodles are suitable for allergy sufferers due to the fact that BOTH parent breeds are hypoallergenic and non-shedding (something you will not get in a first generation labradoodle, goldendoodle, or cockapoo). Their coat is a lot softer than a typical 'doodle' coat as the Wheaten terrier passes along its soft wavy teddy-bear like hair. Children are attracted to this soft fleecy coat and the gentle playful nature of this dog means that they are suitable for all ages. These soft fleecy coats do require weekly grooming and haircuts about 4 times a year.
Whoodles are dogs that love to play! If their bouncy outgoing energy may not be suitable for your family, please check out our Multi-generational Cobberdogs at http://cobberdogsontario.com/ for a calmer energy and deeply intuitive dog. Our Cobberdogs are hypoallergenic, medium sized, and non-shedding- just like our Whoodles! Cobberdogs are an extremely healthy breed that were designed as a service and therapy dog.
- Very soft non-shedding coat (requires frequent combing and regular grooming visits for haircuts)
- Allergy friendly
- Easy-going and adaptable
- Sensitive to tone and training (positive tone and reinforcement works best for their training)
- Will bark when frustrated or excited, but not typically yappy
- Not hyper but has a high level activity tolerance (and will have amazing stamina and endurance!)
- Loves to play
- Prey drive (watch out for squirrels and other little critters as the Terrier nature likes to chase them!)
- Enthusiastic greetings
- Requires a benevolent leader and consistent positively reinforced training
- Very sensitive to heat, do very well with cold temperatures